My offering? A raw salad that's chockfulla Asian stuff. Turned out mighty fine. Here's the recipe:
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and leaves torn to bite-sized pieces
- 1 heaping Tbl. miso paste (found in the refrigerated section of Asian markets -- and my local Safeway)
- 2 Tbl. rice vinegar (or mirin for a slightly sweeter taste)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. Nama Shoyu (a raw soy sauce substitute)
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2-inch section of grated ginger root
- four mandarin oranges, sectioned
- 3 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. seaweed (wakame, dulse, or crumbled nori)
- 1/2 C sliced raw almonds.
Wearing kitchen gloves, vigorously massage miso, vinegar, salt and sesame oil into kale, until kale is soft and wilted, about two minutes.
Toss in other ingredients, and transfer to serving bowl.
Next time, I think I'll add additional greens to contrast with the wilted kale, and a bit of pineapple to add sweetness.
- - - -
Time to get up and dance to Ladies' Night.