Non-problem solved: It's time to serve up some Asian Lettuce Wraps. The fancy-shmancy kind. The appetizer everyone drools over.
The basic ingredient list makes it Asian. The optional ingredients make it less Asian, more Caribbean or Mexican.
- Big Green Leaves. (I like romaine. Other folks prefer chard, kale, or butter lettuce (bibb))
- Walnut-based meat substitute
- Enoki mushrooms (available in the produce section of Asian groceries)
- Bean sprouts
- Garlic cloves (available peeled and packaged in produce section)
- Pickled ginger (fresh grated ginger tastes more Szechuanese, less Japanese)
- Chopped green onions
- Hoisin sauce
- Red onion
- Bell pepper
- Diced celery
- Grated coconut
- Lime peel
Layer ingredients in lettuce leaf. Roll like a burrito, or fold ends in and create a pouch. Hold together with bamboo skewers or toothpicks.
Drizzle with hoisin sauce before serving.
- - - -
And as the mother, mother-in-law, and future grandmother of Chinese girls, let me say: This song is totally offensive: I Like Chinese.